5.31.2010

Blue Van Blues

I have arrived in San Francisco and, from a "writer's" perspective, the trip here was disappointingly devoid of hang ups. From an optimist's perspective, the trip was seamless. The only striking moment was the ride to the airport. I took a blue van to the airways and on the highway, we came upon a fellow blue van. I pictured the RTD bus drivers back in the quickly disappearing land of Boulder, smiling cheerily as they passed each other on the roads, going opposite directions. And because all things are cheery, I expected the blue van comrades to flash a grinning wave at one another. Not the case. The highway began to reek of mild road rage as they passed one another back and forth, speeding, my driver shaking his head at the other. My driver did flash something at one point: a peace sign (not the middle finger you devil!). And if you can picture a sarcastic peace sign, that's what it was. Yes. A sarcastic bunny ear. I tried for a brief while to comprehend this classic notion of peace with a layer of sarcasm smeared on top of it but it just didn't seem to fit and my curiosity dwindled.

And so it was, I left Boulder in the early hours, a grumpy driver as my guide. And now, I sit in my teeny, old dorm room with my door propped open by my trashcan in order to appear friendly. Wait, I mean, to show how friendly I am! Come on in guys!!! I figure it's time for some more social activity today after my long solitary walk this morning, something that filled me with more pleasure than my day of group activities yesterday. By far. But I'm working on it. Slowly but surely.

2 comments:

  1. That's too perfect, that you left Boulder to the flash of a sarcastic peace sign. Leaving your dorm room door propped open with a trash can is a good social move; you get brownie points for that one. But did it result in actual socialization? Stay tuned for the next episode....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have done more socialization in the past two days than I have in my entire life! Props to me!!!

    ReplyDelete