6.09.2010

Shuttle Breeze

Here in SF we are lucky enough to have a shuttle take us to where we need to go (albeit after one bus ride) in the morning for lab work at UCSF Mission Bay. My day today was fulfilling. I was productive in Dr. Jennifer Fung's lab, where I continued to practice the fine art of dissecting yeast tetrads under a microscope with a tiny needle that I, myself, "pulled" from two small glass capillary tubes under a flame. It's very meticulous work indeed, but quite satisfying to feel myself getting better and better at the process. Later this week I will be able to analyze my dissected tetrads for spore viability as Dr. Fung's research begins to come full circle for me.

Also today, I strolled through the cheerful Wednesday farmer's market held outside of my building, Genentech Hall (an interesting story about how this hall came to be owned by UCSF later). I had cherries on my mind. I bought a pound of some of the best cherries I ever had. I ate about a third of them as I walked back to my lab.

When I left today, I hopped on the waiting shuttle thinking "perfect timing". I sat in the back, and as we pulled away a small window offered a cooling, delicate breeze. I popped cherries in my mouth, recognizing some of the same people I see on the sidewalks of downtown San Francisco every day. About ten different delicious food smells wafted in through the window as we went. I kept eating my cherries. It was a good day.

1 comment:

  1. An inspiring post - what a fine day you had! I printed it out for the neo-Luddite in the family so he could read it too.

    ReplyDelete